University of Auckland Clocktower and Registry Building from the University of Auckland
Our Vision for a Universal, Barrier-free Education system
We believe every New Zealand child should have the opportunity to be anything they want to be. That means building a universal, accessible tertiary education system ready to support their dreams whether they choose university, polytechnic or trades training.
We believe education is empowering, enlightening and liberating for individuals and our society. Education is inherently good for New Zealand and crucial to the strength, cohesion and advancement of our communities and democracy.
We believe tertiary education has social, cultural and economic importance.
To achieve our vision, we believe the tertiary education system should have:
- High quality learning and teaching practices
- Outstanding student experiences and learning environments
- Excellent levels of student support
- No financial or otherwise unfair barriers to education
- Equitable access and support for achievement
- Students valued as members of an academic community that contributes to the creation and dissemination of knowledge
- Student voice valued and supported by strong, independent and democratic student organisations
- A real commitment to lifelong learning
- Adequate funding and support for the professions which provide this public good
If you share our vision for a nation that secures opportunity for every Kiwi kid throughout their life, join with us in fighting for it.
Click here to see our 2020 Policy Document.